How can I get my artificial grass standing straight again?

Feb 18, 2020 - 7:31 AM

• I have an artificial grass installed in our backyard but the blades are now flattening down. How can I make them stand straight again?

• This a good question. Artificial grass is made of plastic resins which tends to have memories: when applying certain force to it in a consistent way, such as foot traffics and motions of pressing, the artificial turf fibers will try to remember it and stay that way, that is the reason why after a while with consistent traffic or pressures, your turf might get flattened. One thing you don't need to worry about is that even turf is matted down, the integrity of the product remains in tact besides the visual differences. There are several things you can consider to minimize or fix this concern:

• At the installation, you need to make sure to put enough infill materials on your artificial grass, which will have it standing straight better.
    • During your regular use of artificial grass, once you notice the turf start getting flattened, you should use a push broom or garden rake to brush up the areas. Do not let it flattened for a long period of time so the memories got built in the fibers which can make it more difficult to brush back up. I will recommend you to brush the fibers up in a warm day (70 degree F or above) and you will find it super easy to brush the fibers.
    • You can also adding more infills from time to time if you feel necessary, this is especially true if your artificial grass lawn is on a slope: infills can be gradually washed away from time to time, therefore adding extra infills can help.
    • Again, if the flattened turf doesn't really bother you, and you do not want to spend time to brush, leave it as is won't hurt.
Quick reply