Can synthetic grass be recycled?

Feb 6, 2020 - 1:10 PM

https://megagrass.com/community/question-and-answer/forums/4133/topics/13626 COPY
  • I know it's made of plastic so I'm just really curious.

• Yes, majority of synthetic grass components can be recycled. Megagrass is made of four main components: the straight fiber blades, the curled thatch, the primary backing and the secondary backing. The straight fiber blades are made of Polyethylene (PE), the curled thatch and primary backing are made of Polypropylene (PP), and the secondary backing is Polyurethane (PU) glue. All PE and PP materials can be recycled and made into new plastic resins, however, PU backing will need to be removed while recycling the PE and PP components. Therefore, 95% of our artificial grass are recyclable.

• I've seen in some documentary a few months ago that it is recyclable. You just have to separate the infill from the grass itself to make the recycling process easier.

• Some recycle their turf it as a flooring for their barns. It's actually a great idea.

• Good thing that synthetic grasses are recyclables. It reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators. Kudos!

• I'm not really an environmentalist but it's good to know that artificial grass can be recycled.

• Let's save the earth. Recycle plastics! I commend you, folks, in considering nature before selling your products. Good to know your artificial grasses are recyclable.

• I believe artificial grass is made of non-toxic materials, therefore they can be recycled